Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Cup of Sugar

A couple of weeks ago my neighbour, an old, quiet and reserved man, knocked on my door and asked if he could borrow a cup of sugar. I, being the cookie fanatic that I am, obliged, invited him in and got him his cup of sugar. He said thanks and was on his way.

Last Thursday I got another knock on the door. I opened it, and here was the same neighbour, clean-shaven, dressed in a suit, holding a small boquet of pink flowers. He said, "These are for you, for lending me that cup of sugar."

He handed me the flowers, gave a bit of a bashful smile, and I gave him a giant bear hug. The simple gestures that one never expects often are the most heartwarming. So thank you, neighbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...