Monday, March 8, 2010

Book 4


Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I thought I would like it, as it is a classic and on the top 25 books to read in the 21st Century. But, I didn't like it.

The book is a written account of the happenings of Humbert Humbert, a self-proclaimed pedophile who falls madly in love with 12-year-old Dolores "Lolita" Haze. He is insecure and blames his love for "nymphets" (little girls) on the death of his first love as a child.

But I constantly found myself thinking about other things as I was reading the book, catching myself having just read three or four pages and yet not remembering what it was I read.

Nobokov surely did a ton of research for the book and really did an exceptional job at helping the reader understand the bizarreness of life through a pedophile's eyes, but he didn't capture and keep my attention and he certainly did not connect me with him.

Maybe he wasn't trying to connect the reader to Humbert, and maybe Humbert is a character no one can possibly attach to, but I still didn't enjoy reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...