Thursday, January 6, 2011

DIH-SKUR-IJ

1. to deprive of courage, hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.

2. to dissuade.

3. to obstruct by opposition or difficulty; hinder.

4. to express of make clear disapproval of.

Discouragement is something I've never been particularly good at tackling. It is something I am well aware of that diminishes my confidence and leaves me questioning my abilities as a journalist. But there are particular types of discouragement that leave me questioning the type of person I am or how others perceive me, and it is this type of discouragement that leaves me distressed.

I have grown a thick (or at least thicker) skin in the past five years, at school, in my personal life, with work, but the thick skin is not impenetrable. At times it even plays the role of a sponge, absorbing critique and criticism that should remain an exterior, things like suggestions and lessons.

Is there a discouragement repellent? Something I can spray like a mist, walk into and absorb, so that I no longer feel like I do at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...