Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sad day for a duck

Walking in the sunshine today along the sea wall with my mom, we came across something rather sad. I looked down to the water - the tide was low - and I saw a sea duck just floating against the rock. It was flopping its head back and forth and was having a difficult time staying afloat. My mom and I stopped to look at it and it was then I realized that it's neck was broken.

I wasn't sure what to do, and the duck flipped on its back and his head went under water. It was bound to drown if I didn't do anything, or at least to suffer for a very long time. So I decided to walk down to the water and pick up this duck to prevent it from drowning. When I reached for it, his head was under water and I could tell it was scared. His eyes looked right at me. His feathers were smooth and I grabbed him gently.

A man and his daughter were walking by and asked, "What's wrong with it?"

"Its neck is broken," I said. The poor thing was flopping back and forth. The man suggested I put it out of its misery, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. He motioned to grabbing it by the head and whip its body around but I have never killed an animal before and wasn't about to do it.

Seeing I was mighty uncomfortable this man came down to me and he put to rest the poor duck. It was very sad. I carried the duck over to the nearest garbage and put it inside.

Horrible though it may be, I don't doubt that the duck would've died a slow and painful death if it wasn't for what this man and I did, and I feel better knowing we helped it die quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...